Why ZIS Bilingual?
A child’s early years are the best time to lay the foundation for their future and students in our bilingual program will get so much more than just a great education. Your child will benefit from the full ZIS Experience and being part of our special international community where children from 70 nationalities with 40 languages feel at home. Your child will be an integral member of the entire Lower School community and enjoy a variety of activities with children from other classes and year groups, such as regular assemblies, co-curricular activities and excursions.
ZIS is a non-profit organization and every franc goes into developing our program to ensure that each student is challenged and supported.
- Core homeroom subjects are taught in German by a native German speaker (Maths, Reading, Writing, Social Studies and Science).
- Single subjects, which include Physical Education (PE), Music, Creative Arts and Library lessons are taught by native English speaking teachers in English
- Approximately 60/40 split of German to English (until end of Grade 2 then 50/50)
- Follows the Swiss Curriculum (Lehrplan 21)
- Wide range of co-curricular activities included that children in both bilingual and international pathways participate in
- the value of focus and problem-solving;
- the importance of play, curiosity and enthusiasm; and
a sense of wonder and possibility.
- develop essential skills through our extensive STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) program;
- benefit from hands-on learning through curricular field trips;
- enjoy a wide range of after school activities in both English and German; and
- have access to student support services.
And all included in school fees.
Our bilingual classroom teachers are native German teachers who have a Swiss teaching diploma and experience of teaching in an international environment.
- encourage and guide students to develop a love of learning
- treat and know each student as an individual, supporting and challenging them based on their needs and abilities
- continuously develop their skills and understandings through our extensive professional development program
- value close partnership with parents
The Lower School provides the ideal environment for your child to learn and grow. We offer:
- Spacious classrooms, library, art rooms, music rooms, makerspace and gymnasium, plus a dedicated cafeteria.
- Extensive outdoor area including learning spaces, age-appropriate playgrounds and a sports field, with the adjacent forest as an additional outdoor classroom.
In addition, ZIS offers a variety of optional extras, for a fee, including:
- Hot lunch service (students can also bring their own lunch)
- Bus service with drop off/pick up points within a maximum of 500 meters of your home
- Before and after school care with breakfast/snacks extending the day from 07:00 to 18:00
- Vacation and weekend programs
- Private music lessons on campus
- Additional support such as occupational therapy and speech and language therapy on campus
- How many children are there in the class?
- Which subjects are taught in German and which in English?
- Will children in the bilingual program mix with other children in the English language classes?
- Do all teachers have a Swiss teaching diploma?
- How are children in the bilingual program integrated with other children?